Dr Bessy Raj B N
Department : Chemistry
Academic Qualifications :
MSc Chemistry (2002) – University of Kerala
PhD Chemistry (2010) – Cochin University of Science & Technology
Teaching Experience : 14 Years
Areas of Interest : Organic Chemistry, Coordination Chemistry
Research Experience: 10 Years
Projects undertaken: UGC minor project on “Synthesis, characterization and biological activity studies of metal complexes of some acid hydrazones” sponsored by UGC, MRP(S) 919/10-11/KLKE014/UGC-SWRO/KLKE014 dated 22nd December 2010. Amt. RS. 1,30,000/-
1. A crystallographic study of 2-hydroxyacetophenone N (4)-cyclohexyl thiosemicarbazone, E. B. Seena, B. N. Bessy Raj, M. R. Prathapachandra Kurup, E. Suresh, J. Chem, Cryst. 36, 2006, 189.
2. Synthesis, spectroscopic characterization and crystal structure of mixed ligand Ni(II) complex of N-4-diethylaminosalicylidene-N’-4-nitrobenzoyl hydrazone and 4-picoline, B. N. Bessy Raj, M. R. Prathapachandra Kurup, E. Suresh, Structural Chemistry, 17, 2006, 201.
3. N-2-Hydroxy-4-methoxyacetophenone-N ‘-4-nitrobenzoyl hydrazine: Synthesis and structural characterization, B.N. Bessy Raj, M R Prathapachandra Kurup, Spectrochimica Acta Part A Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, 66, 2007, 898.
4. Synthesis, spectral characterization and crystal structure of N-2-hydroxy-4-methoxybenzaldehyde-N ‘-4-nitrobenzoyl hydrazone and its square planar Cu(II) complex, B.N. Bessy Raj, M R Prathapachandra Kurup, Suresh Eringathodi, Spectrochimica Acta Part A Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy 71(4), 2008, 1253-60.
5. “In silico studies on some of the naturally occurring hydroxy benzoquinones, naphthaquinones and anthraquinones as potent B-raf inhibitors” Arunkumar. B, Annette Fernandez, Shiny P. Laila, V. S. Vishnu and Bessy Raj B N., Journal of Computational Methods in Molecular Design, 2015, 5(4): 16-23.
6. “Synthesis, Characterization, in silico and in vitro studies of an amino derivative of embelin as potent anticancer agent against human breast cancer cell line MCF – 7”, Archana P Das, Annette Fernandez, B. Arunkumar, Shiny P Laila, V. S. Vishnu, and B N Bessy Raj, International Journal of Research and reviews in Pharmacy and Applied Sciences, (2017) Vol 7, Issue 1, pg-1426-1437.
Positions held / Duties undertaken:
1. Manager, Continuing Education Subcentre, Govt. College for Women, TVPM from 2015 to 2019.
2. IQAC Member, Govt. College for Women, TVPM from 2013 to till date.
Seminars / Workshops Organized:
Organized a Two-day National seminar on “Natural Products on Medicinal Chemistry” on 4 – 5 November 2014 sponsored by DCE.
Seminars / Workshops Attended:
1. National Seminar on “Advances in Chemistry – Research and Opportunities” at All Saints College, Trivandrum, sponsored by KSCSTE, on 5-8-2013.
2. National Seminar on “tomorrow’s Material Science TMS 2013) at Govt. College for Women, Thiruvanathapuram on 11-10-2013, sponsored by DCE
3. Seminar cum workshop on reaccreditation of the College by NAAC on 4-12-2013, sponsored by DCE.
4. National Seminar on “Organistional settings – New Trends”, at Govt. College for Women, Trivandrum on 22-23rd January 2015.
5. Faculty training and motivation and adoption of Schools and Colleges by CSIR Labs, February 17-18, 2015.
6. “Workshop on Practicals in BSc Chemistry” at Fathima Matha National College, Kollam on 10-10-2015, conducted by Academy of Chemistry Teachers.
7. National Workshop “Towards formulating Best class room Practices in Teaching, Learning & Evaluation” at Mar Ivanios College, Trivandrum on 10-11-2015, sponsored by UGC-NAAC.
8. “Workshop for College Chemistry Students and Teachers”, on 15-17 October 2015, conducted by JNCASR, Bangalore and FCBS, Trivandrum.
9. National Seminar on “Hermeneutics and Critique organized” at Govt. College for Women, Trivandrum, 15-16, November 2016, sponsored by DCE.
10. Refresher Course in “Renewable Energy Studies” at UGC-HRDC, University of Kerala, Kariavattom from 09-08-2017 to 29-08-2017 sponsored by UGC.
11. National Seminar on “Recent Advances in Chemistry”, at Govt. Brennen College, Thalassery, 16-18, November 2017, sponsored by DCE.
12. National Workshop on “Introduction to GAMESS – A Practical Approach”, at University College, Trivandrum, 21-23 February 2018, sponsored by DCE.
13. Short Term Course in “Student Counseling and Mentoring” from 24/10/2018 to 31/10/2018 at UGC –HRDC, University of Kerala, Kariavattom sponsored by UGC.
Memberships in Academic bodies: Member, Academy of Chemistry Teachers