Department of Botany
About the Department
The Department of Biology, Govt. College for Women was established in the year 1927. The course for B. Sc. Botany was started in the year 1952 while M.Sc. Botany course was started in the year 1972. The department is an approved research centre of the University of Kerala from 2006 onwards.
The department has eight full-time faculty members and provides opportunities for 45 graduate and 17 postgraduate students per year (including marginal increase). The Department of Botany strives to accomplish excellence in basic and applied aspects of plant sciences by fostering innovative research and teaching that encompasses and integrates all levels of biological organization from molecules to ecosystems. Teaching and Research programs in General Botany, Molecular, Biochemical, Developmental biology, and Physiology of plants are undertaken in the department.
- To impart scientific knowledge in the frontier areas of Plant Science to the women students.
- To train the students in the basic and applied aspects of Botany to develop scientific temper.
- To develop and foster research and inquisitive knowledge of students in the field of Botany.
- To inculcate the spirit of environmental awareness among the students
- To train and develop the female students with special thrust towards the economically and socially weaker sections of the society and in turn to foster the women empowerment in this section of the society.
- Our vision is to project the potential of Department of Botany, Government College for Women, Thiruvananthapuram as one of the premier departments among the Arts and Science colleges in the state.
- To impart knowledge to students in the frontier areas of Botany and also to foster their development as responsible citizens of the country.
Programs offered by the Department
|Name of the Programme||Subject||Category||Duration||Annual intake||Details|
|B Sc||Botany||UG (Science)||6 Semesters||30+Marginal increase|
|M Sc||Botany||PG (Science)||4 Semesters||10+Marginal increase|
|Ph D||Botany||Ph D (Science)||5 Years|
Succession List of HODs of the Department
|Sl. No.||Name of the teacher||Period|
|1||Smt. K. V. Paul||1952-1962|
|2||Smt. T. Bhagavathy Amma||1962-1968|
|3||Dr. T. V. C. Thankam||1968-1979|
|4||Sri. K. Chandrasekharan Nair||1979-1983|
|5||Sri. G. P. Krishna Pillai||1983|
|6||Sri. S. Ramachandran Nair||1983-1984|
|7||Sri. K. Narayana Pillai||1984|
|8||Sri. V. U. Augusty||1985-1987|
|9||Smt. K. Prabhavathy Amma||1987-1991|
|10||Smt. Sosa Abraham||1991|
|11||Smt. B. Padma Kumari||1992|
|12||Smt. K. Usha Devi||1992-1994|
|13||Smt. B. Padma Kumari||1994|
|14||Smt. Susan Chacko||1994-1996|
|15||Smt. P. K. Sunanda Bai||1196-1998|
|16||Smt. R. Vijayambika||1998|
|17||Smt. S. Lalithamma||1998-2000|
|18||Smt. L. Prasanna Kumari||2000-2001|
|19||Smt. B. Kumari Girija||2001-2003|
|20||Dr. P S. Krishna Kumari||2003-2005|
|21||Sri. P. Raja Prasad||2005-2007|
|22||Dr. G. Balachandran||2007-2008|
|23||Smt. N. Shakkeela||2008-2009|
|24||Dr. Aniamma Varghese||2009-2010|
|25||Dr. A. Prasad||2010-2011|
|26||Dr. T. R. Jaya Kumari||2011-2012|
|27||Sri. V. Ramakrishnan||2012-2015|
|28||Dr. Sunil Kesava Deth G.||2016-2021|
|29||Dr. Sandhia G S||2021 Onwards|
|Sl no||Name of the faculty||Designation
|1.||Dr Sandhia G S||Associate Professor & Head, Department of Botany||8547520570|
|2.||Dr. K. G. Ajith Kumar||Associate Professor||9496093071|
|3.||Dr. VIJI. V||Associate Professor||9447647710, 9497839253|
|4.||Dr Anil Kumar A K||Assistant Professor||9400763608|
|5.||Dr. Sheeba M.S.||Assistant Professor||9446171569|
|6.||Dr. Shyam Kumar S.||Assistant Professor||9895952519|
|7.||Dr. Manoj Kumar A.||Assistant Professor||9495562197, 9074049649|
|8.||GAYATRI G.P.||Assistant Professor||9446541972|