Assistant Professor (Selection Grade)
Email : email@example.com
Phone : 9447429458
Contact Address: Amrit, KPLRA-45B, Aramkallu, Karakulam (PO), Thiruvananthapuram-695564
BSc Chemistry (1998) – University of Kerala
MSc Chemistry (2000) – University of Kerala
PhD Chemistry (2006) – University of Kerala
Teaching Experience : 15 years
Areas of Interest (Teaching and/or Research): Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Photochemistry, Spectroscopy, Nanomaterials
(i) Post-doctoral research (2013-14)- Design and synthesis of goldnanoparticle based sensors
(ii) KSCSTE Back to Lab postdoctoral research mentor (2017-20) Heparin Gold Nanoparticles for Colorimetric Detection of Cardiac Troponin
(iii) UGC minor project (2012-15): Isolation and characterization of some natural dyes and study of their photosensitization properties in dye sensitized solar cells.
(iv) Doctoral Research: (2001-06): Design and synthesis of some novel symmetrical and unsymmetrical squaraine dyes and study of their photosensitization properties in dye sensitized solar cells.
(1) UGC minor Project (3 Lakhs)
(2) KSCSTE Back to Lab (24 lakhs)
- Vidya Raj and Saji Alex, Heparin Gold Nanoparticles for Colorimetric detection of Cardiac Troponin I (cTnI). Journal of Analytical Chemistry, 2021 (Accepted)
- Vidya Raj, Saji Alex, Non-enzymatic colorimetric sensor for cardiac Troponin I (cTnI) based on self-assembly of gold nanorods on heparin. Gold Bull. 2021 (Published online)
- Vidya Raj and Saji Alex Naked eye detection of infertility based on sperm protamine-induced aggregation of heparin gold nanoparticles, Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 2018,410,3053-3058
- Kun Tian, Saji Alex, Gene Siegel and Ashutosh Tiwari Enzymatic glucose sensor based on Au nanoparticle and plant-like ZnO film modified electrode, Materials Science and Engineering : C, 2015, 46, 548-552
- Saji Alex and Ashutosh Tiwari, Functionalized Gold Nanoparticles: Synthesis, Properties and Applications- A Review, J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol., 2015,15,1869-1894
- Saji Alex, Kun Tian, ShiangTeng, Gene Siegel and Ashutosh Tiwari, Simple and rapid green synthesis of micrometer scale single crystalline gold nanoplates using chitosan as the reducing agent. Journal of Crystal Growth, 2014, 406,12-17
- Saji Alex, M. C. Basheer, K. T. Arun, D. Ramaiah and Suresh Das, Aggregation properties of heavy atom substituted squaraine dyes: Evidence for the formation of J-type dimer aggregates in aprotic solvents. J. Phys.Chem. A, 2007, 111, 3226-3230.
- M. C. Basheer, U. Santhosh, Saji Alex, K. George Thomas, C. H. Suresh, Suresh Das, Design and synthesis of squaraine based near infrared fluorescent probes. Tetrahedron, 2007, 63, 1617-1623.
- M. C. Basheer, Saji Alex, K. George Thomas, C. H. Suresh, Suresh Das,A squaraine based chemosensor for Hg2+ and Pb2+ , Tetrahedron, 2006, 62, 605-610.
- Saji Alex, U. Santhosh, Suresh Das, Dye sensitization of nanocrystalline TiO 2 : Enhanced efficiency of unsymmetrical versus symmetrical squaraine dyes, J. Photochem. Photobiol. A: Chem., 2005, 172, 63-71.
Positions held / Duties undertaken:
- PTA Executive member,
- UG Board of Studies (Pass) member,
- UG-syllabus Revision member,
- S2-PG Examination Board Chairman
Memberships in Professional bodies: Member, Academy of Chemistry Teachers
Awards & Honours: UGC Raman Post-Doctoral Fellowship-2013(USA)
Seminars / Workshops Organized
1. National Seminar on “Theoretical and Computational Chemistry” at Govt. College forWomen, Thiruvananthapuram (Coordinator) Days Nov. 29- Dec.1, 2018 DCE
2. Two day National Seminar on “Current Developments in Material Sciences”; funded by DCE on January 6 to 7, 2016.
3. National Science Exhibition “Nuclear Expo” funded by DCE (3-days, Nov 2011)
Seminars / Workshops Participated
1. Instrumental Methods in Chemistry-IYC-I, Govt. College for Women, Thiruvananthapuram, 11-03-2011, Chemistry Association
2. Instrumental Methods in Chemistry-IYC-II, Govt. College for Women, Thiruvananthapuram, 26-03-2011, Chemistry Association
3. Resource person for “Gifted children programme” for Conducting Science awareness Classes and demonstrations for developing Scientific temper among school students
4. National Seminar on “2D NMR Spectroscopy and Computational Chemistry”, Govt. College for Women, Thiruvananthapuram, 29-11-2011, DCE
5. Resource person for “Gifted children programme” for Conducting Science awareness Classes and demonstrations for developing Scientific temper among school students.
6. Resource person for invited talk on “Chemistry in Classroom” as part of International year of chemistry at St. Mary’s Higher secondary school, Thiruvananthapuram, on 07-12-2011
7. Resource person for invited talk on “Chemistry in Classroom” as part of Sastrabhodhini Programme at Dr. Ambekar Memorial Model Residential Higher secondary school, Thiruvananthapuram, on 17-12-2011
8. National Workshop on “Microscale Experiments in Chemistry” , MG College, Thiruvananthapuram, November 26 to 28, 2012, UGC
9. National Seminar on “ Modern Approaches in Chemistry”, Govt. College for Women, Thiruvananthapuram, 21-01-2013 and 22-01-2013, dce
10. Seminar on Public entrance examination coaching scheme (PEECS), Science and Technology Museum, Thiruvananthapuram, February 01, 2013, Higher Education Department, Kerala
11. National Seminar on “ Natural Products in Medicinal Chemistry”, Govt. College for Women, November 2014, DCE
12. One Day Seminar on “Enhancement and Sustenance of Quality of Students and Teachers” , MG College, Thiruvananthapuram, February 23, 2015, IQAC, National Seminar on “ Higher Education: Challenges and Prospects” AKG Hall, Thiruvananthapuram, 06-03-2015, AKGCT
13. National Seminar on “New Horizons in Advanced Materials” University College, Thiruvananthapuram, September, 17-18, 2015, KSCSTE and UGC
14. National Seminar on “The impact of Service Trade Agreement on Higher Education” CSI Retreat Centre, Kottayam, February 12, 2016, AKGCT15. “2nd World Congress on Biosensors and Bioelectronics” scheduled during November 27-28, 2019 at Singapore,
16. Short-term course in “Student Counselling and Mentoring”, UGC-MHRD, University of KeralaOct. 24-31, 2018 UGC.
17. International Symposium on Advanced Functional Materials (ISAFM) 2018, Mar Ivanios College, Thiruvananthapuram Oct. 12, 2018, Mar Ivanios College
18. National Seminar on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (NANO 2019), at Bishop Moore College, Mavelikkara Feb. 12-14, 2019, SERB
19. National seminar on “Recent Trends in Chemistry” Govt. College, Kariavattom, Feb.5-7, 2019, DCE
20. National seminar on “Advanced Functional Materials for Analytical, Energy, Environmental and Biomedical Applications”, NSAFM 2019, University of Kerala, KariyavattomMarch 25-27, 2019, Govt. of Kerala
21. National Seminar on “ Right wing formulation of Education Sector” at Maharaja’s College, Ernakulam., March 22, 2019,AKGCT
22. National Seminar on “Multidimensional Perspectives in School Psychology (NSMPS) ” Govt. College for Women, Thiruvananthapuram Two Days November, 22- 23, 2016, DCE
23. National Seminar on “Recent Advances in Chemical Sciences” (RACS-17) Two Days March, 13-14, 2017Govt. of Kerala
24. Refresher Course in “Renewable Energy Studies”, UGC-HRD, University of Kerala21 Days August 09 – 29, 2017UGC
25. International Seminar on “Organic Molecules for Material Applications” at Govt. College for Women, ThiruvananthapuramSept 19-22, 2017, DCE
26. National Seminar on Advanced Materials (NSAM- 2017), University of Kerala, Kariavattom CampusOctober 4, 2017Govt. of Kerala
27. STEM Teacher Training Workshop on Research Based Pedagogical Tools, at Sacred Heart College, Kochi4 Days Oct. 11-14, 2017, MHRD, DBT, British Council.
28. National Seminar on “Advanced Instrumentation Techniques in Materials Science” at Govt. College KottayamNov 13-14, 2017, DCE.
29. National Seminar on “Recent Trends in Chemistry”at Govt. Brennen College, ThalasseryNov 16 -18, 2017, DCE.
30. National Seminar on “Medicinal and Computational Chemistry” (MEDCOM-2017), at Govt. College, Madapally, Vadakara. Nov 24-25, 2017, Govt. of Kerala.
31. 2nd Annual Conference of Indian Society of Nanomedicine (ISNM), Nanobioteck-2017, at Trivandrum, Dec. 6-8, 2017DST, DBT, AIMS.
32. Workshop and Training Section on Wet Chemical Routes to High Efficiency Third-Generation Solar Cells, at NIIST, TrivandrumApril 23-24, 2018CSIR, NIIST Trivandrum.